Tiara

5 Actresses Who Could Replace Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft

croft2shotlead1075.jpg

Is there anybody out there, really, who can replace Angelina Jolie as Lara Croft?

Eight years after she brought the daredevil archaeologist to cinematic life in Lara Croft: Tomb Raider, Warner Bros. announced plans last week to reboot the franchise.

The new Lara Croft will have a tough act to follow. An exception to the videogames-make-lousy-movies rule, the original Tomb Raider grossed a whopping $275 million worldwide. But when fans weren't so thrilled with 2003's sequel, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life, Jolie moved on.

Now movie producer Dan Lin (Sherlock Holmes) is set to head the re-launch. He has not yet hired a scriptwriter, and with a director also nowhere in sight, casting likely won't begin for months.

To help get the ball rolling, we're nominating five actresses (including Summer Glau, pictured top right, opposite Jolie) who just might have what it takes to explore ancient ruins and shoot bad guys.

Vote for the various Croft contenders, and nominate your own, below.

croftcontenders2.jpg

Source: http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/02/5-actresses-who.html

i can't believe they didn't put Rhona Mitra on their list! She was the original live-action model for Lara Croft, fer crissake! Not to mention the fact that, as all of us who have seen Doomsday know, she totally kicks ass.

I love looking at Rhona Mitra, she's stunning. But DOOMSDAY was horrible. And her acting wasn't particularly good in it. I heard Neil Marshall even realizes that he blew it with DOOMSDAY by ripping off just about every movie he loves.

Yeah, i know it was a rip-off of a bunch of killer movies i grew up watching, but i really thought it was fun--and was hoping it would have found a bigger audience of kids who may not have been aware of that cool shit, and maybe have discovered classic stuff like Escape From NY for the first time.

As for her acting in it, well i think she's one of the few who could read the phone book and make it watchable. Of course, this probably belongs in the Doomsday thread, so...

She stays my number one choice for Lara Croft.

For what it's worth, my vote is for Mitra as well. She has the edge that is lacking in the others mentioned above. And just wondering, has anyone here seen her in Underworld: Rise of the Lycan? I haven't seen it yet, and am wondering how it was and how she was in that flick.