HUNG

• Please log in to reply
639 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_FADoss_*

Guest_FADoss_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:59 AM

Aurelia,

I think a lot of that has to do with the steady paycheck. Film is great if you're a million+ per film actor. TV pays the bills. Plus, it ties you up so much on filming and if you REALLY love the work then you are ALWAYS doing it which I imagine is a lovely feeling.

When it comes to lower budget independent films, they actually SEEK out TV stars. They are cheaper and looking to do more films. I don't see Jane as getting stuck though.

Fred

#22 Murphy

Murphy

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Films, Lots of Films.<br />Scuba, Hiking, Camping, Live Music, Motorbikes, Running Marathons

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:11 AM

I hope Tom knows what he's signed up for.
Sure, HBO output some of the best TV shows ever made, and sure Alexander Payne is a great director...... but if the show is successful, Tom is going to have to put up with lots of dick puns for the rest of his life. Fun for the first 5 minutes yeah, but after the thousandth dick joke, it might begin to grate.
On the plus side, he could write them all down and become Kevin Smith's new best friend :-P

#23 Aurelia

Aurelia

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 120 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:02 AM

indeed, this is not false... wink.gif
"En l'absence de lumière, les ténèbres règnent." - "Aujourd'hui, j'ai soif de vengeance."

MY BLOG :
http://darkmystique.hawablog.com/
http://ladislav-beran.hawablog.com/
MY STORE :
http://shop.ebay.fr/...QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ

#24 mediumfan

mediumfan

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 12:12 PM

but if the show is successful, Tom is going to have to put up with lots of dick puns for the rest of his life. Fun for the first 5 minutes yeah, but after the thousandth dick joke, it might begin to grate.

Not unlike his wife being asked for the millionth time "Do you believe in ghosts/psychics?"

That's got to get really old really fast. Although I loved the way Thomas handled Ryan Seacrest when he asked Patricia the same tired question at the 2007 SAG awards. That was priceless! So I'm sure Thomas can handle all the inevitable puns and witty remarks.

"Hey, you said that with a straight face, man. You've been practicing." laugh.gif

I'd love to see this do for his career what Medium did for Patricia's. Not launched, but simply gave it a turbo boost, so to speak. Patricia was already established and respected as a film actress (much like Thomas is) but the success of Medium launched her to the next level. I'd love to see that happen for Thomas and see him starting getting the respect he has long deserved.

Television is no longer the "red-headed-stepchild" of Hollywood, and more and more film stars are finding increased success in television. And simply put, it's because the material is better all around. When every other movie that comes out of Hollywood is a sequel to a sequel or a remake of a remake, the lack of originality begins to wear on both audiences and I"m sure actors as well. TV is in a great place right now creatively, and many great film actors are taking advantage of it. So kudos to Thomas, and I wish him lots of luck with this.

#25 JoeMess

JoeMess

DeathSpider Embryo

• Old Guard
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

Television is no longer the "red-headed-stepchild" of Hollywood, and more and more film stars are finding increased success in television. And simply put, it's because the material is better all around. When every other movie that comes out of Hollywood is a sequel to a sequel or a remake of a remake, the lack of originality begins to wear on both audiences and I"m sure actors as well. TV is in a great place right now creatively, and many great film actors are taking advantage of it. So kudos to Thomas, and I wish him lots of luck with this.

Mediumfan,

Let's be real. For the average person, a television show is a much better option to see their favorite performers than a movie release. I am in Seattle, and there are three theatres that I can go and see something interesting at. If it isn't something super mainstream, I am usually seeing it at a limited run theatre called the Crest, which also plays second runs at $3 a seat. The other two theatres are literally a block away from each other about a mile west of the University of Washington. Seattle is thought of as a cultured town, but this is the reality of boots on the ground in Seattle.

You know how much of a fan of Patricia I am, Medium being the only television show I watch in any given week. Having your favorite actress develop a character over multiple years is tremendous. Her skill at weaving a deeper more real, more complex, character are revealed over a long period of time and her skill at constantly making it new show why she is beloved. In the case of Thomas, I would love for him to have that kind of vehicle. I really enjoyed "The Tripper", but the times when TJ wasn't on screen were a bit of a let down, like it was stuck in the mud. Whenever he was on screen it was like, "OK, the movie is going to advance now." This weekend I ended up in WalMart in the middle of the night buying more stuff to get my house ready for open houses. There in the middle of the sales floor was a DVD stand featuring movies centered on comic characters. Top shelf, dead center, "The Punisher". Thomas Jane (Note top billing) and John Travolta. The price was great, $9. The real excitement for me was, that as stupid as anybody thinks a high placement in WalMart might be, this will do a shitload of good for Tom Jane name recognition. Our favorite renaissance man may finally be breaking mainstream.

Joe

#26 mediumfan

mediumfan

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:34 PM

I don't disagree that television is the most viable and easily accessible option for many people to see their favorite (where I live it's a 25 mile drive to get to the nearest theater), but there was a time when it was considered heresy for a "film star" to stoop to doing television. I was simply stating that that is no longer the case, as many "movie stars" such as Patricia, Glenn Close, Sally Field, Jeff Goldblum, Christian Slater, and Holly Hunter, to name a few, are enjoying renewed success on television, and as in Patricia's case, receiving much-deserved critical acclaim and recognition. And a big part of the reason is that the movies that are being made these days (such as the incessant toilet humor of Judd Apatow, among others) aren't worth watching, imo. Or they're boringly redundant remakes or sequels that we've all long since grown tired of seeing made again and again with different titles, or with a different number after the title, e.g. __________(fill in the blank with the most recent three or four part franchise here) 1,2, or 3, or ___________ Returns or Begins, etc. etc, etc.

Television is creatively stepping up the bar these days, where Hollywood moviedom is falling behind, which is why "movie" stars aren't so hesitant to make the leap anymore, as it really isn't much of a leap these days, but rather more of a sidestep.

Loved that about seeing "The Punisher" displayed prominently at Wal-Mart, even if it was on the center aisle, it's always good to see actors like Thomas who work so hard and deserve it get a little nudge sometimes. And I hope that that's what this series will do for him if it pans out.

#27 JoeMess

JoeMess

DeathSpider Embryo

• Old Guard
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(mediumfan @ Aug 4 2008, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Loved that about seeing "The Punisher" displayed prominently at Wal-Mart, even if it was on the center aisle,

Placement was actually really solid. Most of the WalMarts look like they have moved to a planogram model. To get into electronics, you have to cross an overtly wide back aisle. (10-12' wide) They setup feature racks that are tall and thin in front of the entry points to the section. Everybody that goes to look at a Blu-Ray player or an HDTV is going to walk upto and passed a display with "The Punisher" starring Thomas Jane fully in their face. The racks also featured Batman product. Again, this display screamed high traffic.

Joe

#28 Aurelia

Aurelia

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE(mediumfan @ Aug 4 2008, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and see him starting getting the respect he has long deserved.

That's right ! smile.gif

The advantage of a TV show is that we will see Thomas "each week". happy.gif

But it's even better to see him on the big screen, even if it is only once a year...
(so if the series lasts a few years, we will not see him on the big screen for a long time...)

Arfff, anyway, see Thomas remains a real pleasure, no importance "where", "when", "how"... cool.gif
"En l'absence de lumière, les ténèbres règnent." - "Aujourd'hui, j'ai soif de vengeance."

MY BLOG :
MY STORE :

#29 Thomas Jane

Thomas Jane

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:52 PM

truth be told, i would not be doing this show if it interfered with my film career. it's a half hour, single camera show (meaning it'll be shot on film, like a movie, not with three vid cams.) it's 13 episodes, so i'll only be working 3 - 4 months out of the year on the show, leaving plenty of time for a film or two, and all the comic stuff we're doing with Raw, as well as the series i'm developing for sci fi channel - VOYAGE TO SAVAGE PLANET.

Why am i doing small screen? - mediumfan nailed it: the material is great. and finally someone is interested in another side of me than kicking someone's ass or killing ugly monsters. i LOVE that shit, but there's more to a meal than a burger and fries, ya know? sometimes i just wanna freaking steak.

and hell yes i've wanted to work with alexander payne since i saw election. I auditioned for about schmidt and sideways. alexander has always brought me in on whatever he's doing - i dunno why but i've always made him laugh. so i don't care if the screen is big or small, when he called i jumped at it.
the writing is kick ass and the characters are great. and yeah it's a world of dick jokes for years to come, but actors learn pretty quickly that whatEVER you're doing, you become the target for a lot of banal shit. and hey, it could be worse. i could be doing a show about a guy with an asshole on his forehead...

#30 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:11 AM

Working with Payne will be a great experience.
I'm so glad you took this.
Congratulations by the way.

- TB

#31 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:00 AM

It will be nice to see the comedic side again. Your appearance in Arrested Development was too funny, it's a shame we don't get to see more of that side (although, when the gloves are off, I'm more of a genera film guy). Payne's darkness to his comedy seems like a perfect fit for you. Can't wait.

#32 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:23 AM

QUOTE(Thomas Jane @ Aug 9 2008, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
truth be told, i would not be doing this show if it interfered with my film career. it's a half hour, single camera show (meaning it'll be shot on film, like a movie, not with three vid cams.) it's 13 episodes, so i'll only be working 3 - 4 months out of the year on the show, leaving plenty of time for a film or two, and all the comic stuff we're doing with Raw, as well as the series i'm developing for sci fi channel - VOYAGE TO SAVAGE PLANET.

When would Voyage To The Savage Planet start? I thought I heard this announced a while back on another news site, can't remember which one. One of the best things about RAW are the titles you come up with. They evoke the old Sci-fi/horror titles of films and comics. Cool stuff.

#33 MCEdiu

MCEdiu

DeathSpider Embryo

• Old Guard
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Friends, Fitness, Movies

I speak three languages: russian, german and yeah nearly three.
    was born in the USSR but had no chance to become a communist, so i moved to germany to become a capitalist :D

Prefer to watch movies in english. Like movies with actors like: Gerard Butler, Christian Bale, Thomas Jane, Jason Stathem.
    Like you see i prefer the action genre.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:31 AM

From The Punisher to Womanizer biggrin.gif not bad
lass uns tanzen oder ficken oder beides, denn morgen sind wir tot!

#34 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:34 AM

i could be doing a show about a guy with an asshole on his forehead...

That would only work if Garth Ennis was the head writer and showrunner.

wink.gif

Thanks for posting TJ, here is to hoping this becomes one of the HBO classics!!

And by the way, how fucking excited am I for Voyage to The Savage Planet?

#35 Aurelia

Aurelia

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:13 AM

QUOTE(Thomas Jane @ Aug 9 2008, 07:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In this case, I am reassured ! wink.gif

I hope this will bring to you even greater success ! Your career will be even more grown up... cool.gif

MY BLOG :
MY STORE :

#36 Jen

Jen

RAW Keeper of the Faith

• Old Guard
  • 1,766 posts
  • Interests:Ummm...Tom Jane - oh, and music.

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

The Hollywood Reporter says that the actress Jane Adams has been cast opposite Tom in Hung. Here's the link:

http://www.hollywood...76a09b6e4c1a39d

I don't know if it's "official"...

Jen
Thomas Jane 2 Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo..../Thomas_Jane_2/
All Tom - all the time - photos, news, more!

Delusions Of Adequacy
http://www.adequacy.net/
Jen Stratosphere Fanzine - music writer

#37 Murphy

Murphy

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Films, Lots of Films.<br />Scuba, Hiking, Camping, Live Music, Motorbikes, Running Marathons

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:37 AM

That's really cool, she was great in 'Happiness' (kind of reminded me of Hope Davis). From the (brief) description of the part, I can really see her fitting the role.
Looks like Alexander Payne is really getting a great cast together for this..... Man I wish I had HBO. Guess I'll have to wait and see if the BBC pick 'Hung' up

#38 mediumfan

mediumfan

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

Here's some more casting news about "Hung". Zap2it is reporting that Kristin Bauer has been cast in the show as Thomas' ex-wife. Her IMDb resume looks pretty interesting and she does have some comedy experience (George Lopez, Everybody Loves Raymond, Men Behaving Badly, Two and a Half Men, Just Shoot Me, Dharma & Greg, and Seinfeld are all in her list of guest spots.)

The more I hear about this show, the more I can't wait to see it. Any word on when this will start filming or when it will air, Thomas?

#39 Aurelia

Aurelia

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE(mediumfan @ Aug 29 2008, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's some more casting news about "Hung". Zap2it is reporting that Kristin Bauer has been cast in the show as Thomas' ex-wife. Her IMDb resume looks pretty interesting and she does have some comedy experience (George Lopez, Everybody Loves Raymond, Men Behaving Badly, Two and a Half Men, Just Shoot Me, Dharma & Greg, and Seinfeld are all in her list of guest spots.)

The more I hear about this show, the more I can't wait to see it. Any word on when this will start filming or when it will air, Thomas?

I don't remember this actress...

MY BLOG :
MY STORE :

#40 mediumfan

mediumfan

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 01 September 2008 - 04:52 AM

Click on her name to check out her IMDb listing and photos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users