• Please log in to reply
425 replies to this topic

#421 sunshine

sunshine

DeathSpider Larva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Film, music, photography and art...

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:06 AM

Good news...
If your issue with regional dvds ever comes up again, there are 'secret' codes that can reprogram most dvd players into all-region versions (without the need to purchase any more equipment). Look up all region dvd player codes, type in your dvd player's particular make and model number. Then enter the code (or codes) using your remote control & ~voilą ! I've altered every machine in my home and it works like a dream. Also cool because it made watching the Russian copy of "Eden" possible in every room. :D

As far as downloading the 3D version goes...
If you have a PS3 it can be yours for about $30-US.

Bonne chance.

Wow Blondie, look at you being all Miss Techy ... cool you got everything to work
(always wanted to see Eden ~ between us girls ~ is it any good?).

Well heck, I'm impressed with you... first your taste in your home and now this :)
I checked it all out and... unfortunately it doesnt work with my Sony model -- bummer!
I also checked out PS3 which I am not familiar with...tried researching it and it's all too techy for me.
My bro is the techy one and getting him to help me right now is out of the Q! He's gonna be a papa soon.

Anywho, thanks for helping me out doll but I guess I am gonna have to wait for magic to happen.
Hopefully TJ will have a 3D version out in the works for US folks who are dying to see it in 3D.

He's gotta have some pull on that... I don't get it?

#422 Blondielox

Blondielox

DeathSpider Larva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Location:The Bay Area, California, US of A, Earth, Milky Way.
  • Interests:Good food. Fast machines. Music. Film..... and of course, genuine, bonafide, real-deal, true Good Girl Art.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Thanks kitty-cat.

I just really wanted it to work & gave it a whirl.
It took more then a few times for me as well.

Oh, Eden... it was a really long movie (and what you originally wrote on what Thomas said about it was right).
It had to be watched in bits and some of it was viewed sideways because it was making me sleepy.

#423 sunshine

sunshine

DeathSpider Larva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Film, music, photography and art...

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:13 AM

Thanks kitty-cat.

I just really wanted it to work & gave it a whirl.
It took more then a few times for me as well.

Oh, Eden... it was a really long movie (and what you originally wrote on what Thomas said about it was right).
It had to be watched in bits and some of it was viewed sideways because it was making me sleepy.

Thanks again for the tid bit... you tried hun :)

Heck maybe someone (hmmm?) can make me a copy and send it out to me... just a thought? lol

My bro was the one who turned me on and convinced me into getting a 3D player.
He's just like TJ... with all his comics, sci fi's and horror flicks. I guess this is why I can relate with TJ. When we were younger we only could afford one tv. So I was stuck with what he wanted to watch (of course w him being older) and all I had ta but... in hindsight I wouldn't change a thing because it brings back all these wonderful childhood memories... And Sundays was "our days" that we would draw/sketch till the cows would come home. What else was there to do back then? and of course my mom has thrown out all of our work! Boy did my bro ever love his comics. I must say we were pretty good... We would always try to out do each other's work :)... Aw the memories.

Oh yeah, going back to what I was saying...

I just wanted Dark Country to be "my ULTRA first 3D movie experience" on my new 3D player... when I purchased it (they give you a free 3D movie ~ it was some kiddy cartoon crap ~ that I couldn't be bothered with). Oh well...

As for what I wrote initially, I thought I should remove it. I think it's ok for an artist to slash his own craft but didn't want to be rude.

Even though I grew up pretty much a tom boy...
I still enjoy watching some girly movies from time to time. I actually liked "The Sweetest Thing".
It was actually different than most... The black humour sold me and of course watching TJ's kissing moves... that I just couldn't resist. That and "Hung" bring out a comedic side of TJ which is fun to watch but I can see Eden as being a slow long out drama. So I see what you're saying... I guess it's safe to say...yeah, it would a be big yawn.

#424 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:05 PM

Well-deserved applause for the cinematic masterpiece that is Dark Country. I always give it a standing O, when I play it at home. Watching it makes me feel good. Let’s just say, if I was stranded on a deserted island, I’d need to watch Dark Country over & over, again in order to survive.

Directed By Thomas Jane……B-e-a-utiful. B)

Dark Country
by Liam Sharp on Thursday, December 8, 2011 at 3:20pm ·
People almost certainly have no idea that one guy, some seven years ago, got it into his head that it might be cool to make a 'Twilight Zone' style noir movie, and even better – make it in 3D! It felt, he believed, just right for the material; a throwback to times that never really were, glimpse through a haze of cigarette smoke and charted in the silver flicker of the motion picture screen. This guy had some cache, some great movie roles and credits behind him. He had a boyish enthusiasm for EC comics, horror, and the great illustrators of the turn of the last century. He'd never directed before, but hell, he'd been on enough sets! He'd get the hang of it. This would be the first ever film shot in digital 3D, ahead of the curve, pioneering, and completely fool-hardy!

That guy was Thomas Jane - star of HBO's Hung, and several major movies including The Punisher, Deep Blue Sea, and Stander – and the film was called Dark Country

I was lucky enough to be invited by Tom to go and see a one-night-only 3D screening at The Castro Theatre in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago, hosted by noir champion and novelist Eddie Muller.

How do you go about making such a movie? Well first you get your story then you haul it round the studios until somebody – eventually – bites. Then you get the guy that turned lenses used for shooting the dark side of the moon by NASA into camera lenses capable of shooting by candlelight for Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon to build you a prototype 3D digital camera. Then, well... then you have to figure out how the hell you direct yourself!

Tom called Mel Gibson for advice.

Mel says "funny you should ask, I had the exact same problem! So I called up Clint Eastwood… He said "You know? I had the same problem myself, so I called Don Siegel…"" It turns out the answer is to not short-change yourself. Watch the rushes, and if it's not good enough do it again until it is.

The result is a charming, funny, twisty noir with some stunning moments and a GREAT bad guy (designed by Bernie Wrightson) who feels like the template for Sin City's larger-than-life ugly denizens. In fact the whole film feels like it somehow dropped out of the bag when they were delivering the prints for Tarantino's Grindhouse project. Thomas Jane and Lauren German make a foxy, believable-in-noirville couple, newly wed and on the road. There's a Lynchian tension that unsettles in a comfortably familiar way. We get the noir voice-over, the expressionist lighting, and a bloody beautiful vintage car. The story is full of blind alleys, wrong-footing the watcher constantly. The big twist, when it comes, is wonderfully played out in that it lets you in on the gag. It's shocking, but it's also funny, and Tom lets the scene run, making sense of an earlier scene that is also horrific and funny.
Ron Perlman throws in a typically compelling cameo and a couple of adlibs that add his own brand of resigned class to a genre he's never been able to escape.

Tom is no fool – he knows that there's a chunk of the movie that should be on the cutting room floor. Lauren German at one point states how Tom's character likes how her breasts look in her flimsy white dress, but in all honesty she's less pneumatically endowed than perhaps the script imagined, and while she does look stunning there's very little to notice in the breast department. An ice-cube disappearing trick is humorous, but slightly too long, and all the exposition around that scene, and before in the motel, needs a trim. It seems that Tom had to actually re-introduce material that had been cut to make the film longer so it met the required play time of certain regions. Nuts. It would have been better leaner and meaner. I know he'd love to make that director's cut one day, and also make it black and white – something it really cries out for.

I honestly had an amazing night – wild stories, insights and anecdotes abounded. And it was great to meet the loquacious and delightful Eddie Muller and his lovely wife too.

L.

2 people like this.
2 shares
Liam Sharp Awesome poster art by Tim Bradstreet too. Tim was the art director on the movie...
December 8, 2011 at 3:29pm
David Hine Tim Bradstreet, Berni Wrightson - there has to be a comic book in there somewhere. Great review, Liam.
December 8, 2011 at 5:35pm
Alexander Finbow Tab Murphy is an awesome writer and advocate for the movie too
December 8, 2011 at 6:36

Here ya go tuts :)

Thanks for posting it, Paola! :D I really appreciate it.

Liam Sharp sure wrote a nice review for the film. Speaking of The Twilight Zone, is there any music in Dark Country taken directly from any of The Twilight Zone episodes w/ Rod Serling (hey, there’s that ROD word, again). I forget the episode of Twilight Zone with it, but I remember hearing a song that sounded like one. I want to say it’s the episode titled “Perchance to Dream” (maybe not). Though, the music could sound similar just because it’s inspired by it. Anyone know what I’m talking about?

Some of Dark Country already looks B&W, but I think to see a complete B&W version would be remarkable.

Would the Dark Country Director's Cut include those spectacular special features that Tim Bradstreet mentioned on the correct DVD cover that he made? Because then, I'd enter a state of beyond blissfulness. :wub:

#425 Ket

Ket

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:@ketan (twitter)

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:20 AM

the easiest thing to do would probably be to get ahold of a French BluRay and go that route with a digital 3D projector. you can usually raise the gamma on the projector to get the screen brightness up a notch - which is what we do when we're projecting the film from the DCP. the regular dvd is one stop or so too dark, so i imagine that would be true of the blurry as well, though i haven't seen it yet.at any rate, it's an easy fix when you're projecting.

otherwise they could rent the DCP from Sony for about a hundred bucks, but what with the European system and all i don't know how that would work out. best bet is the french BluRay.

we screened THE MIST using BluRay at Long Beach Comicon (was it LB?) a couple years ago in glorious Black & White, and it was tits.

hope this helps!

The festival wrapped early May, so scheduling was tight. I'll see if I can get my copy of the French Blu-Ray in front of the Festival Director for the upcoming Oktoberfest event he usually holds. All useful info re: projectors - they have screened a lot of stuff via blu-rays but I don't think they've ever projected a blu-ray into their 3D projection system - I will also enquire about the DCP through Sony. I think for the next festival, we are probably going to render all submitted films into DCP ourselves (juggling USB Sticks, hard drives, Blu-Rays & DVDs can be a major challenge)

Cheers!

#426 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:49 AM

http://www.whosay.co...e/photos/239484

DESERT NOIR 3D - BIG MOTION PICTURE DOUBLE BILL

DARK COUNTRY & INFERNO 3D

THOMAS JANE IN-PERSON! Interviewed Onstage by EDDIE MULLER

October 28th @ 7pm

Downtown Independent Theater

Get Tickets & More Info here: http://la3dclub.com/desertnoir3d/

Have double the three-dimensional fun! B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users