Photo

P R O M E T H E U S - ALIEN prequel from Ridley

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#81 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Some decent stuff in there, it kinda makes Prometheus look that much worse. It's not perfect, but with some more work that script could have been pretty great. As it is though, I still would have preferred that version over what we got in the end.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#82 Jen

Jen

RAW Keeper of the Faith

• Old Guard
  • 1,766 posts
  • Interests:Ummm...Tom Jane - oh, and music.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Okay, I have 2 main questions about Prometheus. Well, I scribbled down 2 questions in the middle of the night and can only understand one of them, which is SPOILERS AHEAD, how did Shaw get infected and where in her body was the alien form?

Now, I ask this because I've been under the impression from all the Alien films that the unfortunate buggers who get infected end up with an alien life form in their digestive system.

But in Prometheus it seems like Shaw got infected after she had sex with Logan-Greene's character (Charlie? Sorry, I'm bad w/ names). If so, that's reproductive system, not digestive.

Not to be gross and all, but I'd like to know what system the alien form was in - and then did Shaw truly have a Cesarean section or was it cutting open her stomach?

I don't see how it can be reproductive though, because Charlie got infected by drinking that "drop", and I'm assuming he passed alien stuff on to Shaw through kissing her, and that it went into her mouth and into her stomach. That would be logical/factual (well, as far as fantasy can be fact; but following the logic in the fantasty...)

So how would that get into her reproductive system?

Okay, sorry I'm "thinking aloud" about this, so sorry for the length and possible incoherence...

Any help w/ this would be appreciated though. It's been bugging me since seeing the film!

Jen
Thomas Jane 2 Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo..../Thomas_Jane_2/
All Tom - all the time - photos, news, more!

Delusions Of Adequacy
http://www.adequacy.net/
Jen Stratosphere Fanzine - music writer

#83 Jen

Jen

RAW Keeper of the Faith

• Old Guard
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

oh, I just remembered my other question. SPOILERS again; you know Finley (?), one of the 2 scientist guys who are in the cave freaking out after the encounter with alien slimy stuff? So, I thought he was dead...but then you see him later on, in "monster" form, attacking crew members, trying to get back on the ship.

So, is the idea the the slimy octopus-like "alien" takes over a host form - like a human, and the end result, end product, will be a hybrid of the human and slimy octopus? So does that mean Finley was actually still "alive" in some sense or it was a "rebirth" hybrid with some of Finley's features?

Hmmm, I think I'm answering my own question - because, SPOILERS, I'm realizing that that is what happens at the very end of the movie with the octopus-alien and Engineer offspring/hybrid...

Jen

Delusions Of Adequacy

#84 Mike V

Mike V

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

The answer to your questions is shoddy screenwriting.

#85 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Jon Spaihts, the original screenwriter has said that Shaw is infected during sex, so it would be in her reproductive system.

As for Fifield, it's not so much the snake-like creature that has changed him as it is the "slime". The snake-like creature started as a worm (when they enter the chamber you see some on the ground) that gets covered with the slime. It then mutates. Same with Fifield. The original Fifield creature was going to look more like the creature we see at the end. I kind of wish they would have went that way.

#86 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

Possible spoilers:

I really enjoyed this film, for both what was sort of answered and what was left unanswered ... for it to directly connect to Alien then the Warrior/Engineer needed to somehow return to the Jockey position in the crashed ship after incubation & birth - or, more ominously, the Jockey found at the start of Alien could easily be yet another one of the ships mentioned by David (there are many, he had said). I liked that the Engineers were doe-eyed humanoids, belying a conniving and destructive creative drive, and that their "space-suits" were bio-organic exoskeletons (that elephant-snout helmet) - either as camouflage or a bio-mechanical system to best function on whatever host-planet they set-up their shop (possibly differing on differing planets/atmospheres). I loved how David either knew or could immediately discern how to open it. I really loved the many thoughtful and compelling quirks and touches throughout the movie, that made me connect or relate to Alien/s in my mind, and ultimately, at the end, causing me to return to the opening landscape to confirm that it was Earth at the start ... truly engrossing :)

#87 Jen

Jen

RAW Keeper of the Faith

• Old Guard
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Yes, I still enjoyed the movie in an Alien-fan kind way, although I was squirming through the medical pod operation segment! :o

Thanks for the possible explanations for that operation scene, but I'm really hoping that thing was in her stomach, just logic-wise, and well, it's the lesser of 2 awful situations, I think...

Love, love, love David. I hope Shaw can put him back together again... ;)

Jen

Delusions Of Adequacy

#88 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Ok, despite JWeb's quote of the screenwriter regarding reproductive infection (we can still have our own interpretations right? ;)), I can go with you, Jen, on the saliva transfer / ingestion theory (wasn't their love scene depicted with lots of sloppy, sweaty kissing?), as all other "alien births" were either from the digestive system or seemed to be around the thoracic / abdominal cavity (intertwined but not necessarily within). Also it is her stomach (women's stomachs being just below the belly button, men's being above) not uterus that seems to be bulging & surging (closer to the belly button upstage, not low to the pubic bone, downstage). Still, either way, what a power-cringe-worthy scene for us women, right, "We're sorry the surgical pod is programmed for male anatomy only." Really??? F#ck you, Weyland and staff!!! What a smart, bad-a$$ character re-programming that thing on the fly, hoping for the best, and actually living through it. SH!T!!!

#89 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 648 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Crap! On second thought, I think she actually ASKED the machine for a caesarian, indicating her certainty as to the parasite's location; but, the reason I thought it wasn't in utero is that I thought the machine would have removed her organ entirely, thus removing the "foreign object from a male abdominal area" - which would have been even more horrible. Okay, I won't be-labor the issue (pun intended) now that we've lost the guys from all the lady-parts talk - ha ha ;) Suffice it to say, I do love the movies that make me both cringe and think.

#90 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

Saliva transfer could still be a possibility. Lindlelof rewrote the original scene. The original was much more graphic with a creature bursting from Shaw's boyfriend during sex. There are story boards on the blu ray.

#91 Jen

Jen

RAW Keeper of the Faith

• Old Guard
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

Eek, now we must all watch the BluRay added stuff and be freaked out even more by that scene!!

Yeah, jayesse8, I totally forgot that Shaw programmed it for a Cesarean... and that David told Shaw she was pregnant (although he could have been lying and just saying that to explain why her abdomen was suddenly bulging...).

I know I said I loved David (well, you know what I mean), but he did some really not nice things to Shaw and her boyfriend...

Jen

Delusions Of Adequacy

#92 Mike V

Mike V

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

It would have been funny if she set it to abortion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users