10 replies to this topic

#1 Ray 3D Zone

Ray 3D Zone

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 09:40 AM

Hi Everybody,

I'm kicking in my notes from the first day of shooting Dark Country along with a 3D pic of Tom Jane and 1st AD Dylan Hopkins. Of course you'll need to view this pic with red/blue anaglyph glasses (RED lens LEFT eye). If you don't have anaglyph glasses go out and buy a copy of Bad Planet #3 in 3D to get 'em!

Here are my notes from day 1 of shooting:

November 3

First day of shooting for Dark Country 3D. Location is Duke's Cafe for shooting interior scenes in the diner. Scene of stranger who Dick, main character of Dark Country, encounters inside diner. The scene is shot with several different versions. The first few are with the AR and a narrow IO of one inch. It's kind of crowded inside diner with the crew and video village. I get to freeview the first setup with CU of stranger's arm at table looking over at Dick paying for two cups of coffee. Several different angles are shot of this, one looking down the counter and a complex set-up with Howard coming up from behind counter for a reveal of Dick at cash register. The narrowbase AR is used for both of these angles.

Then for an effects shot with a mirror the big Paracam unit is brought in and much time is spent lighting the difficult shot. Max lines up the two 4K cameras on Paracam and the shot is finally completed. No video tap, 3D or otherwise, is possible with the two 4Ks. Cast and crew break for move to second location of day, the Big Chief Gas Station out at the Zia Pueblo reservation. Cast and crew have an amazing lunch inside a tent and then are driven in vans out to Big Chief Gas Station.

This is an elaborate travelling mastershot. One of the two 67 Dodge Chargers purchased for the productio is parked at the gas pump for the scene where Dick emerges from diner, gets in car and swings out of gas station with stranger in the foreground. 3D camera tracks car going off into distance down desert highway.

It's rather an elaborate setup for this mastershot and it is a 'magic hour' shot that takes place between 5:30 and 5:50, a twenty minute window for optimum beautiful light. Everybody is getting nervous when about 10 minutes before the shot mechanics are still trying to get the Charger to run and crew is finishing a wooden ramp which Howard must run up for an aerial view of the car in the distance at the end of the shot.

Howard is fitted with AR which has cables running to two laptops on a flat board and to two harddrives. Mickey runs behind Howard carrying laptops and Dave Adams behind him with harddrives. Robert Howie also runs behind Howard as runs with AR while shooting. Just before action is called a van is cued to drive into gas station kicking up a nice cloud of dust that will diffuse the light.

It's quite a sight to see the four men running in this fashion as Howard leads while framing the shot and shooting. Shot opens with Dick emerging from Diner door and walking over to car where Gina sits in passenger seat. Howard follows Dick, shooting over front of car as Dick goes behind car and going to driver's side opens door. By then Howard (and his entourage) have moved to side of car shooting behind gas pumps then circle around back of car to see front of car and swing wide as car slowly pulls out. Howard circles wide to show car pulling out of station up to street. By that time Howard is at foot of ramp with a shot of the stranger donning his hat in foreground as Charger stops at sign. Then, moving up the ramp, Howard follows car as it drives off into desert distance.

Five separate takes are managed before the light is gone. Howard is exhausted. Everybody gathers around video village to look at the next to last take of shot. In 2D it is amazing. The camera movement is fluid and the light is gorgeous. Stunning even seen flat. Not possible to freeview two laps which are facing outward with people circling round them. A new high for stereoscopic cinema to have this kind of camera mobility.

-- Ray 3D Zone

#2 mediumfan

mediumfan

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:58 AM

Thank you so much for that beautiful commentary, Mr. Zone. That was an incredible job detailing that shot, and I could see it in my mind so clearly. I can't wait to see this on film. What you guys are doing sounds so exciting. I'm loving this. Keep it coming, guys, and take care.

Oh, and by the way, I loved your work on Bad Planet #3. It is MIND-BLOWING it is so good.

Mediumfan

#3 Ket

Ket

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:@ketan (twitter)

Posted 11 November 2007 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(Ray 3D Zone @ Nov 11 2007, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Everybody,

I'm kicking in my notes from the first day of shooting Dark Country along with a 3D pic of Tom Jane and 1st AD Dylan Hopkins. Of course you'll need to view this pic with red/blue anaglyph glasses (RED lens LEFT eye). If you don't have anaglyph glasses go out and buy a copy of Bad Planet #3 in 3D to get 'em!

-- Ray 3D Zone

Hi Ray,

Glad to hear the shoot is underway and some 3D action is happening. Beowulf is out this week. So a treat for all. Couldn't find your anaglyph pic in the post, hopefully get to see it over the course of the shoot.

By The Way, The Films And Festivals magazine came out a couple of weeks ago, with the anaglyph cover and you should be receiving a copy soon ! Thanks for your contribution, it seems to be selling well, and getting some good feedback.

All the best to Dark Country cast and crew !!

#4 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(Ray 3D Zone @ Nov 11 2007, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"One of the two 67 Dodge Chargers purchased for the production"
-- Ray 3D Zone

GREAT breakdown Ray!
Very, very informative, though remember . . . The car in question here is a '61 Dodge Seneca.
The Dodge Chargers are our Sheriff cars. Just wanted to clarify wink.gif

Also folks, be sure to check the production diary thread for a special guest entry by our very own Ray Zone!
With a slew of 3-D pics snapped by the master of stereoscopic knowledge himself.

- TB

#5 kwiat_skye

kwiat_skye

Framling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:42 AM

Hey there. I asked this question on another thread and it sort of got lost there, so I thought I would repost it here on the off chance that Mr. Zone would stop by and take a look at it. unsure.gif

"It was all very interesting, (podcast IV) but there was one particular subject that caught my attention. Ray talked about a new television (Sony I think, maybe?) that you can watch 3D on with special infrared glasses that alternate the red and blue, um, feeds?? or something like that, to each eye.

If that is possible, and this is all digital, then would it be possible to create a special lens, or monocle, that alternates the two feeds at the right speed so that someone with vision in only one eye could see the 3D image? Or does the brain HAVE to get input from two distinct sources?

I know. It's a weird question, but not everyone can see out of both eyes."
`..`.><((((>. `..

#6 Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 08:20 AM

QUOTE(kwiat_skye @ Nov 26 2007, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey there. I asked this question on another thread and it sort of got lost there, so I thought I would repost it here on the off chance that Mr. Zone would stop by and take a look at it. unsure.gif
"It was all very interesting, (podcast IV) but there was one particular subject that caught my attention. Ray talked about a new television (Sony I think, maybe?) that you can watch 3D on with special infrared glasses that alternate the red and blue, um, feeds?? or something like that, to each eye.

If that is possible, and this is all digital, then would it be possible to create a special lens, or monocle, that alternates the two feeds at the right speed so that someone with vision in only one eye could see the 3D image? Or does the brain HAVE to get input from two distinct sources?

I know. It's a weird question, but not everyone can see out of both eyes."

Very interesting question Skye.

I have talked about that subject with a friend of mine. He told me that he knows a guy that works with him that only sees with one eye...and he has trouble with distances and depth (he was born seeing with one eye only). That points to think that he only sees kind of flat images.

But some people who were born with both eyes and then lost one, they can somehow see still a 3-D world...probably their brains has "storage" previous information for them to use later, even with one eye.

It's a complicated subject.

For 3-D Digital Cinema and most TV 3-D display systems, we need 3-D glasses with different sets of filters (polarizer, or colors for anaglyph). Also there are the alternate system of 3-D Shutter Glasses. With all current systems, those 2 sources have to go to 2 different eyes.

Probably if somebody invents a Shutter Glasses system similar to the one used by Real-D that "flashes" both images alternatively, that could solve that problem.

Cesar Rubio.
Cambridge Wisconsin, USA.
http://www.davidrubio3d.com/

#7 kwiat_skye

kwiat_skye

Framling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE(Cesar Rubio @ Nov 27 2007, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very interesting question Skye.

I have talked about that subject with a friend of mine. He told me that he knows a guy that works with him that only sees with one eye...and he has trouble with distances and depth (he was born seeing with one eye only). That points to think that he only sees kind of flat images.

But some people who were born with both eyes and then lost one, they can somehow see still a 3-D world...probably their brains has "storage" previous information for them to use later, even with one eye.

It's a complicated subject.

For 3-D Digital Cinema and most TV 3-D display systems, we need 3-D glasses with different sets of filters (polarizer, or colors for anaglyph). Also there are the alternate system of 3-D Shutter Glasses. With all current systems, those 2 sources have to go to 2 different eyes.

Probably if somebody invents a Shutter Glasses system similar to the one used by Real-D that "flashes" both images alternatively, that could solve that problem.
Cesar Rubio.

Thanks for your reply.
I didn't think about the difference between being born seeing with one eye and losing vision in one eye later in life. I'm thinking that the neural pathways are set up during our first few years of life. So what you referred to as "storage" is more like hardwiring. A person born with sight in only one eye would be hardwired for 2D. But if they lost vision in one eye later, they would have the hardwiring for 3D, even if they are only getting input from one source. So the brain can interpret the information it's getting in a different way.
Anyway, that's why I wondered if flashing the images alternately would work for someone with vision in one eye. I can see that it would not work for someone born with vision in one eye only. But maybe could for those who lost vision later.

Interesting stuff.

`..`.><((((>. `..

#8 Cesar Rubio

Cesar Rubio

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

Ray:

Sorry for "hijacking" your thread.

Congratulations to you and John R. for your work in this 3-D movie.

I wish you the best to both of you guys.

Cesar Rubio.

#9 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 11 December 2007 - 11:59 PM

What happened to Ray . . . RAY!
Come back out and play!

Oh yeah, he was extremely busy working on that little 3-D film, Dark Country!
Well we're finished now so you gotta come back and keep the thread going.

We want Ray, We want Ray, We want Ray . . . .

- tb

#10 mediumfan

mediumfan

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 09:30 AM

Yes, absolutely! We want RAY!!

You gotta come back and give us some more insights into the wonderful world of 3-D. laugh.gif

I have a secret wish that Ray will take some of this new technology that you guys have been using on Dark Country and go to Glenn Caron and help him do another 3-D episode of Medium. The last one was good, but I think with Ray Zone working on it, it would really be fan-freakin-tastic. tongue.gif

Mediumfan

#11 bob12345as

bob12345as

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:16 AM

takes me back to those ground breaking days of jaws and that arm floating outa big screen and right at me, cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users