GUNWORK

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:22 AM

Welcome to the inaugural announcement of a motion picture we currently have in development -

G U N W O R K

Based on the book by David J. Schow
Screenplay by David J. Schow (The Crow, Masters Of Horror, The Hills Run Red)

Proposed director - Walter Hill

Starring Thomas Jane

You won't see this on IMDB yet wink.gif
We're currently in drafts on the screenplay but hope to be pitching in a few weeks.
We have a short window at that point to make some strong moves.

Short review of the novel From Publishers Weekly

Genre hopping seems to suit horror writer Schow (Havoc Swims Jaded) as he lets out all the stops in this high-caliber action story. It's no exaggeration to say that Barney has a more intimate relationship with guns than he does with any human, living or dead. That's why Mexicans call him el hombre de las armas, the gunman. It's also why old army buddy Carl Ledbetter drags him into a messy situation when Carl's fiancťe, Erica, is kidnapped in Mexico City. At the prearranged money drop things start to go awry, and eventually a badly beaten, mutilated, shot-up, and half-starved Barney emerges, determined to get revenge on the kidnappers and anyone else who gets in his way. This is a gory, fast-paced pulp tour de force in the classic style. (Nov.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

If you want to spoil the story for yourself then I heartily suggest you get thee hence to Amazon or someplace and pick this book up.
I RAVED about it elsewhere on this forum and not without good reason.
It's a taut, faced paced book you cannot put down. Schow is on fire.
Book is dirt-cheap.

If we attract Walter to this . . . Well, I can imagine. Can you?

Stay tuned. This is on the burner.

- TB

#2 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:11 AM

You need to get Hill on this so we can see a proper Walter Hill film.

The book too, is amazing. Schow knows how to do it. I love the Hard Case Crime series. If this thing is a go, next you'll have to get Internecien going as well wink.gif

#3 Geoff Woody

Geoff Woody

DeathSpider Larva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 06:44 AM

WOW, things are going from strength to strength. Book ordered, and away we go.......

#4 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

This is what I'm talking about. These are the kinds of stories Hill should be bringing to the screen.

#5 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

Well, well. Isnít that just perfect! Itíd be great if Walter Hill directs it, so Tom can finally work with him as has been intended for so long. cool.gif

Thanks for sharing this exciting news! smile.gif

#6 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 12:07 AM

I wish I could say that Walter is attached.
That remains to be seen but it's something we'll pursue as a first option.
If for some reason Walter and the project are a no-go, fear not.
Trust the material.
Those that have read the book already know how good this material is.
Those that are about to read it not only have a treat in store, they will very soon know what we know already . . .
It's gonna be lip-smackin' ferocious whether it gets bathed in Walter Hill or not.

But perhaps cross yer fingers and say a little prayer for us anyway.

'Night, Pards - tb

#7 Raffi

Raffi

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Comic books, Weightlifting, Eating, Acting, Stunts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:14 AM

Starring Tom Jane and Raffi Elias right? wink.gif

I WANT INNNN!

Sounds like a lovely action horror mix. Get HILL! and get Raf!

-Raffi

#8 SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Books, Comics, Soccer, Games

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:51 AM

That sounds great. Prayers incoming wink.gif
They say most of your brain shuts down in cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side... no wonder I'm still awake. - Riddick in "Pitch Black"

#9 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 03 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Tim Bradstreet @ Aug 3 2011, 08:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wish I could say that Walter is attached.
That remains to be seen but it's something we'll pursue as a first option.
If for some reason Walter and the project are a no-go, fear not.
Trust the material.
Those that have read the book already know how good this material is.
Those that are about to read it not only have a treat in store, they will very soon know what we know already . . .
It's gonna be lip-smackin' ferocious whether it gets bathed in Walter Hill or not.

But perhaps cross yer fingers and say a little prayer for us anyway.

'Night, Pards - tb

I have no doubt that this movie will be tremendous no matter whoís at the helm. But itís always nice to get the first choice.

Iíll be praying for you guys. smile.gif

#10 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Reading/Writing, Music, Film, Art of any kind. The Truth. Alan Watts. John Trudell.

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

How did I miss this?
The Book is AWESOME. It's a big story (Not epic big but just full, a very filling story. Is that making sense?). I'd love to read the screenplay. But Schow wrote the screenplay so I assume he would know how to trim the story. Christ just the thought of it is kicking my ass. How do we fastrack this mother?

#11 GarryCharles

GarryCharles

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 04:53 AM

I'll have to order the book from the States as it doesn't seem to be available in the UK yet...

All sounds good and I'm eager to see this project progress.

I write stuff... Lots of it is free via www.garrycharles.co.uk

#12 Geoff Woody

Geoff Woody

DeathSpider Larva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hey guys, any further news on this?

#13 Esco

Esco

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts, Reading/Writing, Music, Film, Art of any kind. The Truth. Alan Watts. John Trudell.

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

Any news ??

#14 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

We're reading the new draft right now!
Once that's batted into shape we're going to go out with it and start putting it together.
This draft should be REAL close if not right on the button.
It's great stuff, little changes, but essentially the story remains intact.

Hopefully we'll have more news soon!

- tb

#15 Raffi

Raffi

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,439 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Comic books, Weightlifting, Eating, Acting, Stunts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

Auditions possibly big guy? wink.gif

#16 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

If I may ask, how does Schow handle rewriting his own material, and taking story notes from other people on his own work? I'm assuming that he's getting notes based on your last post Tim. Obviously since no director is attached, there is always the chance that the director could want another series of rewrites too.

#17 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:28 PM

If I may ask, how does Schow handle rewriting his own material, and taking story notes from other people on his own work? I'm assuming that he's getting notes based on your last post Tim. Obviously since no director is attached, there is always the chance that the director could want another series of rewrites too.

Not exactly sure about the first question, but we knew there was only one guy to adapt that novel and it had to be Schow himself.
He has indeed taken notes from Tom, and he's been very un-precious about it, mainly because Tom's notes are usually right on the money.

They may nave had some short discussions but I assume everything has gone smoothly because David has not wavered on any of the ideas Tom has brought, which is more on the order of re-structure/alterations to some characters which makes the material much stronger for the screenplay format. David had ideas there too and together they've been hammering the ideas back and forth. Essentially it's the same story, but folks who have read the book would notice some changes.
Not the kind of changes that should take any loyal reader aback. That's why it had to be David writing/re-writing his own material. Any changes or alterations had to be belong in that world, thought/worked out by the same same voice that created the prose.

David has been enjoying the process so consider that the best news so far. It all starts and ends on the page ;)

- TB

#18 Thomas Jane

Thomas Jane

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Any news ??

we're trying to pin down a producer right now. starting the process of nailing down the elements - director, producer etc. script is great!

#19 SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Books, Comics, Soccer, Games

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:39 AM

Good news! I hope it will work out :)
They say most of your brain shuts down in cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side... no wonder I'm still awake. - Riddick in "Pitch Black"

#20 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:53 PM

David has been enjoying the process so consider that the best news so far. It all starts and ends on the page

That's great. I think it's exceptional that David is adapting the material himself by the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users