• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Thomas Jane

Thomas Jane

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:49 PM

so i just got an email from a French distrib co. - Dark Country is being released on Bluray... in 3D!!
next month.

they want me to do a few interviews and such to promote the film, and i'm both thrilled, and disappointed.
thrilled because we finally have the film put out the way it was meant - in 3D!
disappointed because NO ONE TOLD ME about his earlier - i would have loved to have lobbied for a directors cut.
i've been dying to cut down the beginning sequence in the hotel room - Sony made me add a few minutes to reach the 88 minute minimum they weirdly have on their films.

and it's alway bugged me.

and i would have loved to give them TIM BRADSTREET's art for the poster - much cooler than whatever they are gonna come up with.
i havent seen the art yet - when i do i'll post it here. the French are pretty groovy though, so fingers crossed they come up with something slightly cooler than the american dvd poster Sony put together.

ahh, well -looks like the directors cut will have to wait!

oh, and they are also putting the regular dvd out in 3D - anaglyph!

TJ

#2 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

I see how this is going to be bittersweet.

Since it's a French company, does this mean it's for overseas only, or is this going to hit State side?

#3 xNLx

xNLx

Mr. Sparkle

• Old Guard
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

As I don't have a 3D tv, I'll check out the dvd.

Worst case scenerio, we get more cool custom covers by Tim and Allcock!
"There's two types of people,
Those with loaded guns, and those who dig.
YOU DIG."

#4 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

I'm with you there! But, don't forget to toss your work in the ring, Mr. Sparkle wink.gif

#5 xNLx

xNLx

Mr. Sparkle

• Old Guard
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (JWeber @ Mar 24 2011, 02:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm with you there! But, don't forget to toss your work in the ring, Mr. Sparkle wink.gif

I did do some very, very early work for a Blu Ray cover for fun... Hopefully the cover we get will be just fine though.

So with such little announcement, I take it we aren't getting any new special features? That would be a bummer.
YOU DIG."

#6 Padre

Padre

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 348 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 06:45 PM

I'm just glad its finally available in Region B. Looking forward to seeing it at last smile.gif

#7 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

Hey ho whatta ya know, I found the Blu-ray cover. It doesn't have the terrible rectangle of floating heads, so it is a step up.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#8 xNLx

xNLx

Mr. Sparkle

• Old Guard
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 05:23 AM

Hmmm...

It's a definite step up. Though, the American release still has a chance of pulling a Malone on us.

Quick question, do the 3D Blu Rays offer a 2D version? That way I can just buy the 3D and not have to repurchase if I ever got a 3D tv.
YOU DIG."

#9 Mike V

Mike V

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

QUOTE (xNLx @ Mar 24 2011, 08:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a definite step up. Though, the American release still has a chance of pulling a Malone on us.

Quick question, do the 3D Blu Rays offer a 2D version? That way I can just buy the 3D and not have to repurchase if I ever got a 3D tv.

What do you mean by that, I'm pretty sure its only coming out in France for the time being.

#10 xNLx

xNLx

Mr. Sparkle

• Old Guard
  • 456 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Mike V @ Mar 24 2011, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
wink.gif

What do you mean by that, I'm pretty sure its only coming out in France for the time being.

Crap, I jumped the gun on that one! Well... hopefully a US release will happen some day biggrin.gif
YOU DIG."

#11 kwiat_skye

kwiat_skye

Framling

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

Still has the stupid shovel on the cover. I wish that was gone.
`..`.><((((>. `..

#12 jayesse8

jayesse8

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 648 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:30 AM

I am just baffled that our director is not even given a heads-up yet is asked to participate in promoting the film's release - which of course he would do anyway - but why not just check in with him before hand? Simple courtesy. Sheesh - and, ironically, for release in a country that LOVES her directors. wink.gif

Stupid question time: Is anaglyph the one where you need the glasses or don't need the glasses to see the 3D?

#13 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (kwiat_skye @ Mar 25 2011, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did anyone in marketing even watched the film? I still have yet to find that shovel wink.gif

Just switch it with the tire iron. It's more menacing anyway.

#14 AdminGuyX

AdminGuyX

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

What's with the giant hand? I know it's supposed to be a forced perspective, but it just looks like a giant fucking hand coming out of the ground right in front of them.

Only a very slight step up for me. But I am often in shock by DVD sleeve art, even on films that were big hits you find complete shit photoshop hack jobs left and right.

We need an artistic revolution in film marketing.

But hey, I'm just happy as a spanked monkey that someone released this film in 3D. That's awesome.

#15 Mike V

Mike V

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:55 PM

It's like it says in Berni Wrightson's art book, the suits just don't like posters to look like art.

#16 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,319 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:30 PM

Bittersweet, indeed. The words Dark Country belong w/ 3D. However, why can't we have it? Tom, you should have control on the release. I thought you wanted to release it when 3D televisions had been perfected. Though, I wouldn't mind watching the regular DVD in 3D. That could be interesting.

I've been dreaming of a Dark Country: Director's Cut. It needs to happen. Whose arms do we have to twist?

As for the 3D cover, I wouldn't call it a step in any right direction. Now, all I can see is that non-existant shovel. So glad I have the correct cover--Tim's--on my DVD. I sleep better at night because of it. wink.gif

#17 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

QUOTE (kwiat_skye @ Mar 25 2011, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes! They dug with their HANDS damnit, THEIR HANDS!

It's about as ridiculous as Ving Rhames on that shitty Malone DVD cover holding a gun . . .wha?

- tb

#18 mediumfan

mediumfan

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

I don't know which is more annoying, the shovel or that ridiculous hand. I mean, both are obviously added in as afterthoughts, and very poorly, I might add. Not to mention that NEITHER one of them has anything to do with the damn movie whatsoever. Honestly those talking heads who make those decisions are a bunch of braindead morons.

Speaking of, I've got the Bradstreet version of the cover, but how do I print it to make it fit the dvd case? When I print it, it's always too small.

oh, and they are also putting the regular dvd out in 3D - anaglyph!

Coupla questions- anaglyph is the one with the red and blue glasses, right? So it won't be the RealD version that you showed at the 3DFF last year? How is that different? Does it look different on screen?

And this is only available in France for now, right? No word on when we might get a US release, huh?

#19 Thomas Jane

Thomas Jane

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:34 PM

where did they get that ridiculous SHOVEL? i know i always keep a shovel in the trunk, but i'm crazy.

#20 Geoff Woody

Geoff Woody

DeathSpider Larva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 03:58 AM

Does anyone have an idea of UK release date. It seems a bit much to move to the US in order to get Tj films first hand......... But then again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users