Photo

Bad Planet Volume II

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

Are you planning on keeping the release in two parts, or will there be a "complete" edition down the line?
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#42 Thomas Jane

Thomas Jane

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

Are you planning on keeping the release in two parts, or will there be a "complete" edition down the line?

there will be a complete GN down the road a ways. the challenge with this series is keeping up the grade A art. we've got most of the scripts written. i'm still working on the last two, but the story's all there. finding an artist to follow Greg Staples - thats a challenge.
but we've done it before - we'll do it again!

i'm excited about the Comixology releases on May 23rd.

#43 joyce ford

joyce ford

DeathSpider Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:I love cooking, gardening reading stephen king books. And am a supporter of breast cancer awareness and the alzheimer awareness funds.I also like to go to clubs to dance when I have the chance to.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

there will be a complete GN down the road a ways. the challenge with this series is keeping up the grade A art. we've got most of the scripts written. i'm still working on the last two, but the story's all there. finding an artist to follow Greg Staples - thats a challenge.
but we've done it before - we'll do it again!

i'm excited about the Comixology releases on May 23rd.

That does sound exciting. But like I said before you guys are exceptional. I have a quick question for ya. Do you guys ever come to Ohio. You probably don't but just thought I would ask.

#44 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,319 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Here's some new news -
BPV2 special Black and white San Diego Comicon Edition just went to press.
There will be a very limited print run of this special edition.
If you won't be at comicon we'll have them available through the store in August.

Here's a quick gander at the cover of the Black and white edition -
Posted Image

Artwork by Greg Staples - Cover design by TB
Greg was right up to the wall of the deadline getting the this book to printer so there was no opportunity for him to create new original cover art for this edition.
Still, his art just packs a whallop and it was a fun one for me to design.
The full color version of V2 Part 1 will feature a brand spanking new Staples cover.
That version will be available in (print) October through Diamond and (Digital) in June through Comixology.

I'll be posting some more art here over the coming weeks.
For now we're really looking forward to Comicon. Greg Staples himself will be at our booth signing copies of this Special Black and White Edition along with Tom and myself.

The CHERRY will be the release of Dark Country GN in HARDCOVER.
SDCC will be the place to be.

- TB

Thanks for sharing, Tim! :D

The Bad Planet Vol. 2 cover looks stunning! I forgot you guys were doing 3 parts for this volume. I'm curious. Is the job easier when you’re focusing on working on smaller parts over a period of time or does the job become more difficult since you want the individual sections to be that more perfect (hope this question makes sense)?

#45 gunplanet

gunplanet

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:25 PM

Wow. that cover art looksreally nice!
view my portfolio at: http://gunplanet.deviantart.com

#46 lochtessmonster

lochtessmonster

DeathSpider Embryo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:comics, linux, writing, ukulele, singing, rockabilly, traditional country, american roots music, backyard chickens, gardening, travel, tikis, mcm clothes, mcm decor, mcm landscaping, mcm architecture, history

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:13 AM

I'll be posting some more art here over the coming weeks.
For now we're really looking forward to Comicon. Greg Staples himself will be at our booth signing copies of this Special Black and White Edition along with Tom and myself.

The CHERRY will be the release of Dark Country GN in HARDCOVER.
SDCC will be the place to be.
- TB

Isn't SDCC ALWAYS the place to be?
"My magic lasso will catch this banana missle before it does any damage!"

#47 Thomas Jane

Thomas Jane

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:31 PM

I'm curious. Is the job easier when you’re focusing on working on smaller parts over a period of time or does the job become more difficult since you want the individual sections to be that more perfect (hope this question makes sense)?

it's always hard. whether you're doing the whole thing at one go, or breaking it down into 2, 3 or 6 parts, it still comes down to page by page, panel by panel storytelling. this book will be challenging just finding two more artists that can sing in harmony together.

#48 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

One of the things I love about the RAW books is that you and Tim are unwilling to settle for anything less that what you want, even if that means putting a project on hold for a substantal amount of time. Most people would cave, get the first guy to say "yes", and put the book out. You have a standard, and you stick to it.

It has been mentioned on the boards that you have lost a few artists to better paying gigs. I'm not clear on all the regulations, but would Kickstarter be something to use to try and get the artists more of an incentive to stay?

#49 Thomas Jane

Thomas Jane

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

It has been mentioned on the boards that you have lost a few artists to better paying gigs. I'm not clear on all the regulations, but would Kickstarter be something to use to try and get the artists more of an incentive to stay?

stay tuned. more on this kickstarter thing soon..

#50 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,319 posts
  • Interests:Making movies, writing scripts, acting, watching independent movies, and spending time with my family.

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

it's always hard. whether you're doing the whole thing at one go, or breaking it down into 2, 3 or 6 parts, it still comes down to page by page, panel by panel storytelling. this book will be challenging just finding two more artists that can sing in harmony together.

Thanks for A-ing my Q, Tom! :D

I understand how putting it all together or in parts can be a demanding job. Patience is key. The art created by RAW always looks exceptional.

Best of luck in successfully finding your other talented artists & keeping ’em!

A lot of people are using Kickstarter these days. I’m amazed by how many professionals who have worked in Show Biz are pursuing their passion projects with the help of crowdfunding. It’s definitely interesting & worth considering.

#51 JWeber

JWeber

Call him GILGAMESH!

• Administrators
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Bad Planet 7 is available here: http://www.comixolog...comic/DIG001320

Staples work is amazing. Really good stuff. Tom and Bruce Jones have come up with a good story for part 2. This one is going to keep you guessing, the world of Bad Planet has been turned on it's head. At this point, no one is safe. Can't wait to see what is in store for the conclusion.

#52 MangoTango

MangoTango

DeathSpider Embryo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:I like comics by people like Charles Burns, Chris Ware, Jim Woodring, Jason, Thomas Ott and others

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:54 AM

What's the release schedule for the new Bad Planet series? Monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly?

#53 Tim Bradstreet

Tim Bradstreet

The Management

• Root Admin
  • 3,170 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, Graphic Design, Production Design, Film Scores, Film.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:34 PM

I wish it were that simple, Mango . . . .
Right now we have 7 & 8 in the can and are searching for an artist for 9&10, 11&12, respectively.
But first we have to earn enough scratch to pay for the bloody things!!
All in good time. No real schedule to speak of.
We're renegade boutique publishers fer chrissakes!
As if that was an excuse.
OK, we'll try and do better in future.
For now revel in the story so far.

Bad Planet #8 will be available exclusively through ComiXology next month.
There will be no hard copies of 9-12 until the extravagantly produced Trade paperback/hardcover editions are created at the end of our Bad Planet journey.
Hard copies of 7 and 8 are available through us at shows or by special request, etc . . . Void where prohibited, close cover before striking.

But oh man! The Staples cover alone!
And with that new logo ta boot!
Enjoy - TB

Posted Image

#54 joyce ford

joyce ford

DeathSpider Pupa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Interests:I love cooking, gardening reading stephen king books. And am a supporter of breast cancer awareness and the alzheimer awareness funds.I also like to go to clubs to dance when I have the chance to.

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I wish it were that simple, Mango . . . .
Right now we have 7 & 8 in the can and are searching for an artist for 9&10, 11&12, respectively.
But first we have to earn enough scratch to pay for the bloody things!!
All in good time. No real schedule to speak of.
As if that was an excuse.
OK, we'll try and do better in future.
For now revel in the story so far.

Bad Planet #8 will be available exclusively through ComiXology next month.
There will be no hard copies of 9-12 until the extravagantly produced Trade paperback/hardcover editions are created at the end of our Bad Planet journey.
Hard copies of 7 and 8 are available through us at shows or by special request, etc . . . Void where prohibited, close cover before striking.

Enjoy - TB

Posted Image

Oh yeah I will be getting one of those. B)

#55 indieflick_chick90

indieflick_chick90

Alien DeathSpider

• Old Guard
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

I love this response! :D It could actually make a great quote to include on the back of a RAW shirt.

Enjoy - TB

Posted Image

I still want a #7. & now I want #8. The new logo fits that bad boy perfectly.

Woohoo! This is my 1000th post! So do I get a cake or certificate to commemorate the special occasion? ;)

#56 elite_modder

elite_modder

Mud Whistle

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:46 AM

Any news on when Volume 2 will be available? Just sat and read Volume 1 in one sitting and cant fucking wait until I can get my grubby little hands on Vol 2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users