44 replies to this topic

#1 SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:Movies, Books, Comics, Soccer, Games

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:50 PM

Vin Diesel, who revealed earlier this week that David Twohy was writing another Chronicles of Riddick film, offered more details on Friday and clarified that only part of the film would have a smaller scale, a la the predecessor film Pitch Black. Diesel told a conference call last week that the film would open with Riddick struggling to survive alone against carnivorous monsters.

"There is a scaled down portion of this that goes back to the Pitch Black style of telling the story," Diesel said in a group interview in Hollywood, where he was promoting Fast & Furious. "It's hot."

Diesel added that his plan is still to have four Riddick films in total. The third would only be part two of what he always envisioned as a trilogy to follow Pitch Black.

"Well, you remember when I had talked about Riddick, I talked about Riddick as being the Fellowship in the Tolkien [Lord of the Rings] series. So I was using Pitch Black as Hobbit, as the independent story that introduces you to the world of Middle-earth, and then taking The Chronicles of Riddick and treating it as a trilogy that goes from the story that you saw, to the Underverse and ultimately to Furya in the third film."

Twohy's current script is not quite set to complete the Furya journey, so there is still one more film planned.

"Yeah, absolutely," Diesel said. "That's exactly what I'm saying. So if you think of Pitch Black as an introduction to the world—if you think of Lord of the Rings, and I'm just using it as a parallel—you're thinking of Lord of the Rings, there are three books, a trilogy. You would think of The Chronicles of Riddick as the first in that trilogy, and there will be two more to follow."

Source: http://scifiwire.com...ture-riddic.php

Also, Diesel was on Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and mentioned that the filming may start early next year...

Yeah, baby! I hope it will happen smile.gif
They say most of your brain shuts down in cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side... no wonder I'm still awake. - Riddick in "Pitch Black"

#2 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:27 AM

I read on AICN (I think) that the budget is going to be much smaller then the last film was, and the next 2 films may be direct to video.

I think I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed both films. Pitch Black was a better ride I thought, but I liked Chronicles too. It's a darl violent sci-fi film, how could I NOT?

smile.gif

Whatever the case is with the release, I'll check out more Riddick films.

#3 FADoss

FADoss

Zombie Killer

• Old Guard
  • 709 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

Noeland, I'm right there with you. The animated short set between the two is great too.

#4 SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:29 AM

Diesel's Riddick is a badass and is coming back to the big screen shortly in the next Riddick film with a rumored release date of 2010.
IESB has some inside information about the film to share.

Universal Pictures, the studio behind the franchise, is gung-ho about a Riddick sequel due to the huge tracking of Diesel's FAST & FURIOUS due out April 3 co-starring Paul Walker.

IESB is hearing the new Riddick film will be more down and dirty with less "fantasy epic stuff" to deal with. A bounty hunter/space pirate type of story line is expected.

The film will have a capped budget of around $35 million.

Expect an official announcement about the new film after FAST & FURIOUS opens big on April 3.

Source: http://www.iesb.net/...c...6&Itemid=99

I already thought that Universal would wait with some official statement until Fast & Furious opens. Let's hope it opens really big ^^

35 million budget is okay (PB was like 22), down and dirty is fine (Vin already talked about the R rating for the second movie years ago) but I hoped for a bit more, like 50 or 60 million, because I'm curious to what that means for the storyline that they originally planned. Vin said that they wouldn't ignore the mythology of TCOR, yet it will be hard to 1) keep the visual continuity in terms of the Basilica sets and all the Necro stuff (maybe they still have parts of that + Necro armors etc.?) and 2) to realize the big battle stuff in the Underverse that Vin already talked about a couple of years ago ("War is the norm and it's a bloodbath there..."). I guess that they will still venture to the Underverse, but the details of the plot and the location will be different, because of the smaller budget (well, they could save money by building the same sets in Prague and not in Vancouver, for example). It will probably focus on Riddick and a small group of characters with some creatures like in PB without massive battle scenes, which can be a good thing, but I just hope that they don't really have to sacrifice original and interesting subplots that deal with Elementals for example. Maybe they will save some of that material and if the second one will be successful, they can increase the budget a bit for the third one...

Vin said on Jonathan Ross that he would love to get Judi Dench back... I doubt that, but I hope that Karl Urban and Thandie Newton will return, because the Vaakos are still quite important for the plot I think, if they really go to the Underverse and go deeper into Necromonger mythology. Otherwise they don't really need any of the cast back, except Diesel and maybe Kristin Lehman. But I think Riddick as the new Lord Marshal is too interesting in terms of the plot options to just drop it.
They say most of your brain shuts down in cryo-sleep. All but the primitive side, the animal side... no wonder I'm still awake. - Riddick in "Pitch Black"

#5 Joe Jusko

Joe Jusko

Esteemed colleague of the Loyal Order

• Old Guard
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:08 AM

I went to see the second one almost by accident as it got almost no promotion here and loved it. I was kind of surprised it was so universally reviled by the media. It seems every dollar they spent was actually up there on the screen. I, for one am definitely looking forward to another entry in the series!!!

QUOTE (noelandlovesguns @ Mar 23 2009, 03:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read on AICN (I think) that the budget is going to be much smaller then the last film was, and the next 2 films may be direct to video.

I think I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed both films. Pitch Black was a better ride I thought, but I liked Chronicles too. It's a darl violent sci-fi film, how could I NOT?

smile.gif

Whatever the case is with the release, I'll check out more Riddick films.

#6 FADoss

FADoss

Zombie Killer

• Old Guard
  • 709 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 07:54 AM

So Joe, what did you think of "The Postman"? Another critic-hated flick that I loved. I think most critics just don't GET sci-fi.

#7 Joe Jusko

Joe Jusko

Esteemed colleague of the Loyal Order

• Old Guard
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 09:40 AM

My memory of it is pretty foggy (probably not a positive) LOL but I remember it as being a bit of a chore to sit through. I'd have to watch it again as I haven't seen it since it's initial release. It couldn't have been as interminable as Waterworld or Wyatt Earp, though. Saw it at a midnight pre screening and walked out of the theater at 3AM in a daze. That "Aw, schucks" scene with 40ish Costner as a 16 year old swinging on the porch was jaw droppingly hysterical.

QUOTE (FADoss @ Mar 24 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So Joe, what did you think of "The Postman"? Another critic-hated flick that I loved. I think most critics just don't GET sci-fi.

#8 FADoss

FADoss

Zombie Killer

• Old Guard
  • 709 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

Not to get too far off of Riddick, but I really enjoyed "The Postman" after I watched it again years later. It's DEFINITELY no the same suck as Waterworld. smile.gif

#9 Noeland

Noeland

Loyal Order of RAW

• Root Admin
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:14 AM

I really liked The Postman. It didn't have great art direction or costume design, but it's a hopeful movie, and oddly patriotic. It's also kind of a western. And Will Patton once again takes a role and runs with it as the "bad guy". I like that his character is an idealist and feels he's doing what is right. Lots of the story is about loyalty and community, which are interesting considering the setting of the film.

I always wondered if Patton based the character on Allen Pinkerton. Maybe it's just the beard.

SO, yeah, RIDDICK. I guess they will be doing away with the necromongers for this new film, and that Riddick will not be leading them any longer, that the story takes up as that ends. That's the rumor anyway.

#10 justaguy1984

justaguy1984

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 560 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

I loved Pitch black, but hated the sequel, although I liked the animated movie too. I liked the video game too. If this has a similar feeling to black, then I will watch it, since I love the character Riddick.

#11 FADoss

FADoss

Zombie Killer

• Old Guard
  • 709 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (justaguy1984 @ Mar 30 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I loved Pitch black, but hated the sequel, although I liked the animated movie too. I liked the video game too. If this has a similar feeling to black, then I will watch it, since I love the character Riddick.

Heathen.

#12 Mike V

Mike V

Jaded? Angry? Or just sick of the bullshit?

• Old Guard
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 08:31 PM

Anything that gets David Twohy working, I'll check out.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

#13 justaguy1984

justaguy1984

DeathSpider Pupa

• Old Guard
  • 560 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (FADoss @ Mar 30 2009, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heathen.

Meanie! tongue.gif

#14 Murphy

Murphy

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 160 posts
  • Interests:Films, Lots of Films.<br />Scuba, Hiking, Camping, Live Music, Motorbikes, Running Marathons

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (Mike V @ Mar 31 2009, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything that gets David Twohy working, I'll check out.

I used to think so... then I watched Below and it kind of sucked (except that part with the Sting Ray, that was freakin awesome).
Still, I've got enough good will towards the guy, so I'd still probably check out whatever he makes.
The cast for his next movie is pretty good actually, Timothy Olyphant, (the legend) Steve Zahn & Milla Jovoich. Sweet.

#15 SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 326 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:44 PM

ShockTillYouDrop.com had a chance to sit down with director David Twohy to talk about his upcoming psychological thriller A Perfect Getaway and during our interview, we got around to talking about Twohy's dark sci-fi franchise, which seemingly petered out with 2005's The Chronicles of Riddick, but in fact, Twohy has been in regular communication with the movie's star, Vin Diesel, on how to continue the series.

"I've sketched out two ideas for the next installment," he told us during the exclusive interview. "Vin and I have decided on one approach of those two, and there's some interest at the studio level but it would be as a PG-13 film, and we don't want to do that anymore. That's one of the concessions we thought we made with 'Riddick' that we shouldn't have made. We also spent too much money and we were too ambitions, so yes, if we do go back to a third one, it will be focused again, hopefully again the same way that 'Pitch Black' was, and we'll spend less money doing it. We're just trying to figure out how much less we can do it for, because I don't think Vin is going to work for scale again."

"The third movie would be more modestly-scaled and it would probably feel more like 'Pitch Black' then 'Chronicles'," he continued. "It will always be Riddick-centric. If the question is whether it will be more like the first one than the second one, the difference is that yeah, you can sell it on its creatures and say 'This is a creature fest and we're going to go out as us vs. the creatures' but that's like a lot of different movies. However, the hallmark of a good movie, and I think 'Pitch Black' is a good movie, is that even if you took the creatures out of the picture, you'd still have some pretty interesting character dynamics going on within that group, and it's almost like you can tell the same story without the creature or substitute some other external pressure on the group, because there were internal pressures as well that were interesting. So was it really a creature feature? It had the hallmarks of it, the trappings of a creature movie, but it also had pretty good characters."

Even though Twohy and Diesel may be seriously talking about the way to move forward with the Riddick franchise, that's not the only thing on Twohy's plate, as he admits to always having a few original scripts in some stage of development to tackle after he finishes whatever movie he's working on. The one he seems most interested in doing is something called Crying Havoc, which will be produced by Ridley Scott. Twohy filled us in on the premise: "It is about an FBI Agent who uses technology to track a spy around the world, only to learn that the spy is more demon than human, and that demon leads him into the lower circles of Hell, psychologically speaking. That's a cool one, and it hopefully has the same visual prowess of a movie like 'Constantine' but a hopefully more coherent script. That's in the works and that may be next."

http://www.shocktill...ws.php?id=11267

Nice! I hope that they can find a way to make the film the way they want to make it and that they can start next year smile.gif

#16 Nighthawk

Nighthawk

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

I. Am. Psyched!!

Pitch Black was awesome, but really liked Riddick as well. The Riddick character in the video game was amazing. Loved everything about him in it, but I would have loved for it to be longer.

And really looking forward to A Perfect Getaway with Steve Zahn!

#17 chris weston

chris weston

Honored Compatriot

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:06 AM

I like both Riddick movies, but do find the lead character a bit "one-note". His consistent coolness, safe in the knowledge of his own abilities, tends to undermine the tension of the situations he's placed in.

In contrast, take a look at the template for this sort of character: Clint in "A Fistful of Dollars"... he seriously gets the crap beaten out of him at one point. Harrison Ford is the King of the "Oh Shit" expression. Even Roger Moore's Bond shows a flicker of fear whenever he runs into Jaws.

These moments increase the tension. If the hero is worried we should be too.

Riddick is far too much of a smart-arse. He has no fear that needs to be conquered... and the viewer is deprived of any sense of triumph over adversity. And that's not very dramatic.

In short, the character needs to have his mettle tested.

#18 SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 326 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:02 AM

I agree to some extent, although I think that the character worked very well especially in Pitch Black, where you worried more about the other characters (Fry, Jack, Imam) and when Riddick made that evolution from serial killer to anti-hero and finally decided to save them, I cheered. Yes, he is a cool badass who survives everything, but he also does it with a certain style that I like. But I agree that he should get challenged more in future movies...

He seems to have no real problems in most situations, but in both movies there are crucial moments of real struggle where he looses something or someone important to him, which makes him more than a untouchable killing machine:

- At the end of Pitch Black he gets wounded by one of the creatures, a rare moment of vulnerability and thus he isn't able to save Fry's life, which clearly affects him and I think the audience as well.

- At the end of Chronicles he nearly looses his soul (literally) and even though he manages to defeat the antagonist without getting beaten to shit physically, he looses Kyra and it's not like he is indifferent and just walks away ^^

#19 Lord Dubu

Lord Dubu

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

I liked COR but mostly because it made realize how awesome a 40K Space Marine movie would be.

#20 SonOfTheDark

SonOfTheDark

DeathSpider Larva

• Old Guard
  • 326 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 05:37 AM

Yeah baby. Finally:

Vin Diesel is going back to the future to topline and produce a third chapter in the "Chronicles of Riddick" franchise.
Universal will handle domestic distribution on the sci-fi film, which is titled "Riddick." Lionsgate is selling international rights at the Berlin Film Festival.

David Twohy -- who wrote and directed the first two films in the series, "Pitch Black" and "The Chronicles of Riddick" -- will helm from a screenplay he penned.

Plot details are being kept under wraps. But insiders say the third outing will hew closer in tone to the cult hit "Pitch Black" and will focus on the character of Riddick as opposed to the universe he inhabits, which was the case with the critically panned "Chronicles of Riddick." Still, "Chronicles of Riddick" earned $116 million worldwide and spawned a successful vidgame series.

Dates are being worked out for "Riddick" so as not to overlap with Universal's fifth installment of "Fast and Furious," which will shoot sometime this year with Diesel onboard to star and produce.

http://www.variety.c...0...yid=13&cs=1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users